Sunday 21 July 2013

Introduction Blog

Hi.  My name is Bobby Deep and I am a psychologist living in the Republic of Ireland.  This bog, I mean blog, will involve discussions about various topics such as psychology, philosophy, personal development, interpersonal relationships, explanations of behaviours, personality, political critique, stress reduction, power, meditation, atheism, humanism, religion, and so forth.  All the things that might be important to a lot of people.  In any case, this is just a brief introduction to say a little about myself, and I suspect that nobody will read this until I get going with the business of blogging.  

I love the Myers-Briggs personality profiling system, which is partially based on Jungian psychology. In this system I am an INFJ.  That stands for introverted, intuitive, feeler who evaluates.  Each of the for letters can be in one of two positions: 

Introverted/Extroverted (I/E) meaning you either avid or seek out stimulation on the basis of high or low levels of internal arousal.

Intuitive/Sensate (N/S) meaning you either value intuitions (patterns) or you value immediate sensoryevidence.

Thinking/Feeling (T/F) meaning you value Thoughts more or feelings more.

Judging/Perceiving (J/P) meaning you are likely to either evaluate and create order, or perceive things as they are without acting on them necessarily.   Thus the J tends to be more orderly and neat while the P tends to organised chaos.

Well that's my interpretation of the system in a nutshell.

Another thing about myself is that I'm partially sighted and use a long white can in poor light.  More about that later.

I have never really blogged before, because I realise that the human word as written down or spoken has vast power.  Moreover, ideas spread, there are repercussions to what is said, and to write a blog carries some responsibility with it.  I have so often wistfully observed the freedom many people have in expressing their true ideas, without giving a second thought to the fact that they are enacting a basic human right:  The freedom to speak freely.  I admit that I have envied these individuals, who take this right for granted.  As a person with a fair share of my own responsibilities, I have always feared that if I spoke my true thoughts, that some would find them distasteful, heretical, upsetting, and at worst, subversive; and that there would be tangible repercussions for my wellbeing and security.  But I have decided that part of realising my own value is the freedom to think and to feel and to believe what I think, feel and believe.  Too many people on this planet remain silent.

No comments:

Post a Comment